Chapter 1: Chronicles Of A Zulu Kasi Princess (Page 5)



"Love, like rain, does not choose the grass on which it falls"


Imagine waking up in the middle of the night, to complete a boring assignment that has been bugging you for weeks. The pressure that had you eating loaves and loaves of bread with tea, the dreaded Monday mornings keeping you tired because you don’t know where to start. Children who demands your time and involvement. The fresh fish and chips you crave Friday late nights propelling you to finish the whole bag of potatoes before month end.

Lindiwe has been stressed lately, her school work is behind, the children are sick almost every week. Nothing works, Brian decided to turn his back on her after the neighbours spread the rumours about a convertible X6 that dropped her. Tshepo’s phone is off. Sitting on the edge of Auntie’s bed, she gasped her breath and eyes popped out starring the corrugated roof of their two-bedroom-tin-house.

Ncane, can I make you some tea? She enquired after sitting for an hour next to her Aunty. Turning her body to face her, Aunty Betty opened her eyes and squirmed. Eerg Lindiwe mtwanami, are you struggling to sleep?

With her sweet soft voice, she answered, 'yes mam Ncane, ngiyahluleka ukulala'. I had such a terrible dream in my sleep, I saw Umama. Before she could finish interpreting the dream, hysterically she cried. Why me mamNcane? 

Quickly Auntie Betty gripped her into her big soft arms, come my child. While crying she said, “Nothing works, I loved the wrong man and left by a good man who is willing to take care of me and my children”. How could I have been a fool and trusted uTshepo, my studies are behind because of the stress he puts me through. What happened Ncane, how could everything change so quickly? I want to be with uTshepo because he is the man I love. I had bored two children for him but he always lies to me and come up with stories.

Listen Lindiwe, and you listen to me very carefully mtwanami because I know what I am talking about. No men will rescue you out of your miseries. Life has taught me that men are selfish, they go around making babies and the person who suffers to raise those children is a woman. We have been blessed by God to have a womb that bears beautiful children. Look at your seeds and tell me if God made a mistake for you to become a mother to all these angels. 

'I know it’s tough to juggle being a mother as well as being a student. But mtwanami, unfortunately you will have to proof yourself  in education, if you want to succeed in life. The idea of all these shiny things, forget about them because they are not necessarily precious things. Only God and children are precious. You have a brighter future ahead of you girl. Stop focusing on the boys who will just waste your time; what they do best is to chew you like a chappies and throw you far away. You are lucky that your body is still intact and you have me by your side.'

Lindiwe smiled genuinely, enjoying the bond and wisdom from Aunty Betty. If there’s one thing she knew, 'was that she could rely on her aunty 24/7.  Now go you, make me some nice tea, I deserve it after this hearty talk. They both laughed.

Comments

Popular Posts